Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Fake Me

One of the activities for this week is to list ten imaginary lives, things that I'd like to do in my dreams. From what I've read, they can be completely outrageous and that's okay: the point is to do little things that are in the spirit of these fanciful personae.

  1. Novelist. This has been a dream of mine since I was very young. I am working on this, in some form, and have been for a year or so, maybe more.
  2. Singer of showtunes.  I actually confessed yesterday that I indulge this fantasy by singing in my car at the top of my lungs. I sing to whatever is on the radio, or on a CD in the car, or in my head. My favorite, lately, is singing to something off a Glee CD (I have #1 and #2) or singing to Barbara Streisand. The songs in my head, funnily enough, are hymns or songs from The Court Jester or Slipper and The Rose. I can only imagine that it's a hang-over from my childhood.
  3. Gardener. More specifically than that, I dream of having a garden that produces enough for multiple families. I guess what I really mean is a farmer.
  4. Chef. Not the type of chef that is egotistical or a crazy bitch, as seen on tv, but someone who cooks for people and gets great satisfaction out of doing that on a regular basis.
  5. Animal rescue/preserve. Yes, as if having a dog, four cats, and two fish wasn't fulfilling enough, I do dream of having a place in the country big enough to take in rescues and love them, care for them.
  6. Rachel Maddow. She took my quiry, nerdy ability to tell stories to children and turned it into a money-making political commentary endeavor. I am jealous.
  7. Foster parent (The caveat to this is that I am, in this fantasy, a self-made millionaire who does not worry about money and can spend all the time with the kids and hire a nanny to help as well so that there is constant adult supervision and I am not exhausted. Other than that I'm not interested in children of my own.)
  8. Den Mother.  I'm not really sure what else to call this dream. In it, I have a large home and lots of young adults are there. I feed them and listen to them and love them.
  9. Pastor. And yes, I know I don't have the traditional religious views, so in my dreams I graduated from a Unitarian seminary. (If only I truly knew what that meant!)
  10. Teacher. Principal. Mentor. Coach....Everything that I once was and sort of am now, but in a smaller capacity.  I have dreams of walking in to schools and working together with a staff in a positive manner to make a wonderful learning environment for students. I love working with kids and adults and I love, love, love teaching.
 So what sorts of activities can I do to live out some small part of these dreams? I already sing in the car at the top of my lungs. Perhaps I can make something good to eat to indulge the part of me that wants to be a chef? I am going through a mentoring workshop this week, so that gets to the heart of teaching...it just doesn't place me in a classroom full of needy teenagers.  I can't really be a den mother right now.  So...what?  If anyone is reading this and has suggestions, I am open....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...