Friday, February 4, 2011

Welcome, followers

Today was a good day. A long day, but good. It started off with work, the kind of work that feels very productive because it's all about helping people. It continued with work, the kind that is necessary but not fun (like grocery shopping), and then more work of the oh-my-God-I-have-people-coming-over-and-I-need-to-clean-the-bathrooms variety. The day ended with the monthly family dinners that we host, and for the first time in months I felt satisfied with the evening's experience.

At the end of the long day I decided that I wasn't really planning on blogging, but I just couldn't stay away from checking stats in blog-land. Imagine my delight to realize that membership in Followersville has increased! I'm now up to four public followers, which to me sounds incredible considering I started with zero on the first day of this year. Yay for new people! And welcome, new people!

In honor of the increased followership, I thought about looking for quotes that were appropriate. That was more easy thought than done. I did find this quote by Dwight D. Eisenhawer that was interesting:

Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends. 

Then I decided that talking about blood and sacrifice was probably not the tone that I wanted to set for this post.  I kept looking. And in that search I found one quote that I liked. It is, perhaps, the only time I will ever quote Ralph Nader, so maybe I should circle this date on my calendar.

I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. 

It is a sentiment that has been stated by more than just one person, so perhaps I will leave it.  All I know is that I have enjoyed my journey through a creative recovery (in process though it may be) so much and I love all the fun projects that are inspired by my fellow writers in BlogsLand that if I can share this experience and get someone else to join in the fun my time will be well-spent.  And even if I can't, it's still a learning experience for me.
Thank you, Followers and Readers.  You brighten my day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...