Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If you give a perfectionist an art idea...

...she may hate it.  Or, if she is like me, the idea looks more beautiful in her mind and so when it is created it's disappointing.  Julia Cameron would call this negativity my Critic.  I tend to refer to it as my Guilt Monster, although in this case I have little to feel guilty about (unless you count the voice that says "You spent how much time doing this instead of working on Mother's Day projects?" Thanks, Guilt Monster.).

I had a great idea for a piece of art for the bathroom.
I am worried that it looks more homemade than handmade, which means it didn't turn out quite like my vision.  But perhaps I should just accept this first attempt.  It inspired several more art projects that are now swirling around my creative brain (and distracting me from my job).

And maybe I need to listen to Julia Cameron's advice in The Artist's Way and just embrace what is without listening to my Critical Guilt Monster.

Oy vey.  I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Something I struggle to remind myself is that handmade pursuits take practice -- not every attempt has to be (or is going to be) amazing! If you still love the idea, try again another day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens to me all the time. I throw away more than I post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...