Thursday, February 17, 2011

(Healthier? Vegan?) Chocolate Irish cream cupcakes

I wish that I had pictures for this post. I pulled out a book I hadn't looked at in a while and found a scribbled note with a recipe I whipped up for Irish cream cupcakes last year. I'm sure I was inspired somewhere, I just can't remember where, but looking at the recipe now it seems like I needed a near-vegan cupcake at the time for whatever reason. I just wanted to post it here so I know where to find it in the future.

Irish Cream Cupcakes:

2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 c. applesauce
1 c. soy milk (I'm sure regular milk can be used instead)
1/2 c. Irish Cream
1/3 c. oil
2 shots espresso (or 1/4 c. instant espresso powder -- if using instant coffee powder, increase to 1/2 c.)
2 eggs (or, to make vegan, 2 small, ripe mashed bananas)
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another, and then blend together.

Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. It should make at least two dozen.

For frosting:
Blend together 6oz cream cheese + 1/4 c. plain non-fat yogurt + 1/2 c. powdered sugar + 1 tsp vanilla

I don't tend to like cake or cupcakes at all, but I do remember liking these. Hopefully that's a good sign. Maybe I'll make them again soon and post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...