Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Raindrops and Rainbows

In the short week since summer officially began, we've had interesting weather and experiences to match.  There have been so many instances where I thought, I should write [blog] about this, but the thought of sitting down to the computer again was just exhausting.  I passed.  But I did not stop thinking, mulling over events and circumstances.

Today was no different, at least with regard to busyness and stories to tell.  I am still tired and have plenty to do, but I must write to mark today.  It is the day I was called for two job interviews.  And that, regardless of what else happened today, makes the day memorable.

Sometimes it seems like there's never been a time that I wasn't looking for a job. I know that's untrue.  Over the years I would find a place, fall in love with the people, the community, and then find that I had to move on (thank you, budget cuts).  Since the Great Recession, the job market is even worse.  I know that for every job there are at least 100 applicants, sometimes more, all desperate for the position.  At first, I would celebrate, pump my fist in the air, for making it through the first hurdle -- a call for an interview.  Generally, if I received that first interview I would progress to the next step, and the next, and the next, until I knew I was one of two applicants left.  And then I would not get the job.

That can be very depressing.  But this time away from K12 education, this time at the university, has given me some time to breathe and some time to renew.  By the time I graduated (again) this spring, I did not know what, exactly, I wanted to do, but I had the energy to do it, whatever "it" ended up being.

I still don't know what "it" is, but I do know it's in the field of education.  (There was never much doubt about that, truth be told.)

Last week, as part of my regular job search, I applied for two jobs in a district that I love.  It's about 30 minutes away from my house, the outer reaches of my newly-set application boundary (after years and years of driving 100 miles a day for work I decided I am done with that), but in a place where I once lived, a place filled with teachers I've come to know over this past year (thanks to my current job), a place with staff members I adore.  Why not apply for whatever jobs they have available?  And so I applied for a building-level position and a district-level position.  I've come to the conclusion that the worst they can say is "Thanks, but no thanks" and I am used to that.

Confession: I only speak one language.  I can understand much of what is said in a second language (Spanish) and I pick up a good deal of a third language (Vietnamese) as long as I understand the general context.  But I only speak English.

To work at the two jobs in this one particular district, being bilingual is a requirement -- and for good reason.  English is not the primary language.  It is for that reason that I did not think that I would ultimately be considered.

Imagine my surprise when I received calls today for interviews for both positions!  So exciting!!  I am trying not to get my hopes up.  And, perhaps more importantly, I am reflecting on what I really want so that I feel well matched to whatever job eventually comes my way.

Regardless, I have two interviews.  Tomorrow.  Time to start studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...