Thursday, June 9, 2011

Creative Day 9: Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe

Today is a bit of an unusual day. Honey flew back from a business trip and arrived home mid-morning and so decided to stay and work from home the rest of the day.  This is nice because we haven't seen each other since Sunday and this evening I will be gone to a wedding of a former student.  (Honey likes weddings even less than I do and so is not made to attend, especially when the event is over an hour away.)  Since I was going to be gone for dinner, I decided to make a nice late lunch.  This was a double-bonus because I had some pasilla (poblano) peppers that I needed to use.  Time to perfect the chile relleno casserole recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 3 large pasilla (poblano) peppers
  • 1.5 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 med-large onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 6 stale corn tortillas (optional)
  • 12 oz. cheese, grated
  • 6 eggs
  • 4 oz cream cheese (optional)
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. corn meal
  • 2.5 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp. epazote (optional)
  • pepper, to taste
Turn the oven on to broil and put the peppers in for about five minutes (turning half-way through) until they are blistered and slightly toasty.
Place the peppers in a paper bag for about five minutes.  At that point, they will be cool-ish.  Remove the seeds and peel the peppers, then slice them into strips.

Turn the oven on to preheat to 350.

In a frying pan, cook the onion, garlic, and ground turkey until the meat is fully cooked.  I usually make the meat the same way I make taco meat, adding whatever seasonings I feel like that day (usually chile powder, cumin, garlic salt, paprika, ginger).

Slice the stale corn tortillas.  These are optional and I have made this casserole without tortillas (and without meat).

In a greased 9x13 baking dish, layer tortillas, meat, cheese, and peppers.  You should have enough for two layers.

In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, cream cheese, milk, and spices.  Pour the mixture over the layered casserole and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (until the egg mixture sets/is cooked).

Serve to a hungry family!

This should serve about eight, especially if served with a salad or fruit, but between My Baby visiting for lunch and The Teenager here, the casserole is basically gone!

**As a note, I have made this during the winter when I can't find fresh peppers for a reasonable price.  In that case I use a large can of jalepenos and a large can of green chiles in place of the fresh peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...