Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A "rag quilt" (my new favorite kind of quilt)

Yesterday I had plenty to do.  I was supposed to make a few more mug rugs, do some work, and start checking items off the huge to-do list.  Did I do that?  No.  I decided instead to try my hand at a "rag quilt" and make a blanket for The Teenager.  (Did I mention I'm great at procrastinating when I have a bazillion tasks that I don't want to do?)

A while back, The Teenager said that if I ever made him something he'd want it all black.  Well, after discovering that the only black flannels at Joann's had either pink hearts or blue hockey pucks on them, I decided to go with something else: skeletons & Halloween cats.


I am not going to put a tutorial up here because I just used the most wonderful tutorial posted by the lovely Jenny at An Apple for the Crafter.  Check out her blog -- it's cute! -- and look at how simple it is to make a rag quilt!

The good points about a rag quilt: super fast, mistakes aren't noticeable, and it turns into a rather heavy, warm blanket.

The downside: it takes a lot of fabric!  I made a blanket for a tall teen and it took about five yard of fabric all told.  Yikes!

But The Teenager loves it, so that's all that matters.  He used it when he went to bed last night -- so cute.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried one of these before. I do traditional quilting, but this sounds like a fun project. Thanks for sharing.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, and thanks for the link! Been thinking about doing a rag quilt for a while, just not sure about all those other pesky details.. recipient, fabric, etc.. yours looks so cool! Love those skulls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have never tried it but am seriously considering it now! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...