Sunday, April 24, 2011

Grama's Green Stuff: A Recipe for Easter (or any other holiday)

The women in my family, at least my maternal side, do not cook.  (I am the exception and sometimes I think that my love of cooking was born out of necessity.)  My mother could burn soup, turn eggs green, and make "slumgullion," which I believe is Crazyspeak for "something that tastes so awful your body will trick you into thinking you're full just so you won't have to eat it." (Note: several dictionaries define slumgullion as "a watery meat stew." That is not the slumgullion we had growing up.  We had very little to eat and a house of nine, sometimes ten, to feed, so slumgullion was code for taking anything left in the fridge and/or freezer -- including condiments -- and mixing it in a large pot so that it looked like gruel to feed 10 people.)  My grandmother's specialty seemed to be mac-n-cheese (yum!) and chicken nuggets.  I do have to give these women some credit.  My mother made excellent chocolate chip cookies about once a year and she could make a mean enchilada casserole too.  Grama made excellent applesauce, rhubarb sauce, fried mushrooms, and...Green Stuff.

Grama's Green Stuff was -- is -- famous, at least in our family.  No holiday is complete without it.  And while some people say that it's "lime jello salad" or something along those lines, I silence all the blasphemers with a haughty glare.  It. Is. Not. Jello. Salad.  I hate jello and I love fruit but I am not a fan of anything that is fruity but smothered in some unknown, non-kosher gelatinous substance.  Grama's Green Stuff, however, is another matter.  When I got married, I asked for two things from Grama, things that only she could give: the recipe for Green Stuff, and a set of "wise guys" (more about that during the winter holiday season).  I got both things.  That's how I knew Grama loved me.

I know that my grandmother probably found this recipe in some 1950s magazine, just like she found her other standbys (beef stroganoff, for example -- the nostalgia of this recipe almost makes me wish I still ate beef).  But she did what she always does and added a bit of a twist of her own.  It's so good -- you've no idea.  Go ahead.  Try it.


Pour into a large stock pot:
1lb bag of mini marshmallows
2 c. milk

Heat over medium heat.  Stir constantly with wooden spoon.  When hot, add:

6oz package lime jello
16oz cream cheese
2 cans (15oz each) crushed pineapple (one can drained, one with liquid)

When cool, blend in:

12oz. Cool Whip
1 1/3 c. mayo (Best Foods/Hellman's)

Mix until well blended, put in dish (usually a 13"x9" and then a smaller dish for a bit of excess) and chill overnight.

As my Grama said, "Serves as many as you'd like."

I like to post creations at many different party pages -- check them out here.

4 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I would never have thought to put those ingredients together and I can't imagine what it would taste like! Maybe I'll just have to try it!!!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe! I wasn't able to get one from my grandmother and this is the next best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    chinese restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie~

    Grama's Green Stuff sounds like a recipe I would like to try!! So when I serve it to my family & they ask what it is, I will say "Marie's Grama's Green Stuff" :) Thanks for linking to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week, looking forward to seeing what you share this week.

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...