Thursday, January 5, 2012

Photo Challenge Day 5 -- Something green, from a high angle

Having missed the photo challenge yesterday, I decided to combine the two days.  It was such lovely weather for photos, too -- the air felt more like early spring than January.  Did we skip winter again?  (I hope not!) The clouds today were much better than on day three of the photo challenge ("Take a picture of clouds").  In fact, as I was driving out to the country and back I wished I brought my camera ("Lesson one: always take the photo" -- remembering to bring the camera helps here).  The day was stormy and sunny and a bit rainbow-y.


The photo lesson for yesterday was about ISO, something on a camera that has to do with light and speed, and today's lesson was on aperture.  I am still learning but at least things are starting to make sense.  I always wanted to be able to focus on something like a flower and have the background blur -- now I can do that!

Lesson 4, Picture 1 -- ISO 800, shutter speed 1/60 (I think).

Lesson 4, Picture 2 -- ISO 400, shutter speed 1/10 (I think)

I am going to have to learn a bit more about ISO to see the point and understand how to use it.  The lesson on aperture was much easier -- the higher the number (also called f-stop, which can be written as f/5 or f/20 or whatever number you're using), the smaller the aperture and the larger the depth of field (i.e., more things are in focus).

Picture 1 -- f/5 -- see how only the flower is really in focus?  I always wanted to know how to do that!

Picture 2 -- f/10, more of the leaves are in focus, or at least heading in that direction.

Picture 3 -- f/20, still more is in focus and you can see that this is still winter and there are dead leaves everywhere.

Picture 4 -- f/29, aka "Ack, my yard's a mess!"

I think I will like using this feature!  Perhaps it's good that the weather is already getting better. Come on, spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by...I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...